What is the Tobacco Product Directive?
The TPD is an EU directive that has been passed into UK law effective on May 20th, 2016.
The Directive lays down rules governing the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products. These include cigarettes, roll your own tobacco, pipe tobacco, cigars, cigarillos, smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes and herbal products for smoking.
TPD Article 20 summary
As far as E-liquids are concerned the following apply:
- Additives are highly restricted
- A nicotine-containing liquid will have a maximum strength of 20 mg/ml
- Refill bottles are limited to 10 ml, and pre-filled refill tanks and cartridges are limited to 2 ml.
Retailers, manufacturers and importers must know that:
- Advertising is heavily restricted
- Manufacturers and importers must submit a technical dossier to the relevant national authorities (the MHRA in the UK) for each product
- Retailers and manufacturers are required to share market data and trends with the competent authority
- Restrictions apply on cross-border sales
- Member states may ban individual products given sufficient solid data
Effects on E- liquids
E-liquids will only be available in 10ml bottles, at a maximum strength of 20mg. The TPD does not affect E-liquids with no nicotine (0mg) as they do not need to be tested. However, all E-liquid bottles must have a childproof and tamper-evident cap as well as TPD compliant labelling.
Concept Liquids and the TPD
All our products are manufactured according to the highest quality standards. In order for our products to be approved by the MHRA under the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) we perform all the following analyses and tests:
A series of tests in order to detect the components of our E-Liquids including the nicotine percentage, the PG/VG percentage, the Tobacco-Specific Nicotine Nitrosamines as well as any other compounds such as diacetyl, acetylpropionyl, acetoin, diethylene glycol, and others.
Vapour Emission Testing
- Vapour emission testing detects any undesirable compounds in your e liquid vapour, such as:
- Heavy Metals
- Tobacco-Specific Nicotine Nitrosamines (TSNAs).
Also vapour emission testing is used to determine the Nicotine Dose Consistency
Nicotine Dose Consistency Test
A test that determines whether the E liquid nicotine dose is consistent on every single inhalation during the life of a device.
Please get in touch to discuss your TPD testing requirements